Only 14 pages are availabe for public view
The Government of Egypt (GOE) has articulated as its long-term goal the achievement of universal coverage of basic health services for all its citizens.
The Ministry of health and population (MOHP) is responsible for the health of the
Egyptian people and therefore all its efforts are aimed at improving the health status
of all citizens and specifically to reduce infant and maternal mortality rates,
population, growth, and the overall national mortality and morbidity burden.
In 1991, the Government of Egypt embarked upon a program of stabilization and
structural reform aimed at stimulating the economy and addressing the problems of
the social sector including health care services. In early 1996, the MOHP re-assessed
of the health sector and recognized a need for further comprehensive reform.
Throughout 1996, wide ranging discussions took place regarding the government’s
ability to provide all Egyptians with access to a comprehensive scope of preventive.
Primitive and curative health services. In November 1996 the Minister of Health &
Population appointed a Health Sector Reform Steering Committee to lead the reform
process and co-ordinate discussions among, and involvement of all stakeholders .
The approved HSRP document provides a reform ”umbrella” which defines the
strategy as follows:
• Incremental approach to cover the whole population with health insurance through
development of a National Insurance Fund.
• Organization of public and private service delivery in a system centered on the
Family Health Model.
• Decentralization of health services using a district planning and management
• Provision of preventive, primitive and curative health services through family
health units, family health centers and district hospitals.
• Integration of service provision at the facility level through the Family Physician
acting as gatekeeper of the health system.
• Choice and competition among public and private health service providers.
• Development of necessary organizational and management structures/systems to
implement the reform.